Nicholson River Winery
The Nicholson River Winery is an award winning winery overlooking the Nicholson River, in East Gippsland’s Lakes & Rivers System.
In 1978 it seemed like a good idea to plant a vineyard and make wines. They were pioneering times and vineyards were being planted in all sorts of 'new', 'cool' locations.
Ken and Juliet Eckersley and were working in the Bairnsdale area at the time - Ken as a social worker and Juliet as a nurse. Originally Ken was from Sydney and Juliet from near Manchester.
They loved wine and Ken was fascinated by the craft of making wine and hopefully something that gave people joy and pleasure. Lots have been learnt about the making of wine and the grapes from this very special area. One word sums up the typical local character - flavour -distinctive, varietal ones that linger. A feature that they believe is the hallmark of quality wine.
Current Wine List Specials
- 2004 Semillon Sauvignon Blanc - tropical fruit,soft & dry
- 2003 Semillon - soft citrus & lanolin. Will age well
- 2006 Unwooded Chardonnay - soft melon & citrus
- 2007 â€˜The Lakesâ€™ Chardonnay (sc)
- 2003 Montview Chardonnay - melon,grapefruit & dry
- 2004 Montview Pinot Noir - cherry & spice,with dry finish
- 2003 Merlot â€“ cherry, cigar box flavours with fine tannins
- 2004 Nicholson River Chardonnay ( 500ml )
- 2005 Nicholson River Chardonnay
- 2006 Nicholson River Chardonnay (sc)
- 2005 Nicholson River Pinot Noir - delicate, cherry & strawberry
- 2004 Cabernet Merlot - a new release, with blackberry flavours & dry tannin finish, traditional style
- 2004Â Syrah - lovely soft red
- 2003 Botrytis (Lake Pick) Semillon
- 2003 Botrytis (Lake Pick) Chardonnay